This information describes the CELTA Young Learner programme. It is not an event notice, so if you would like to know when a programme is to be offered, join our emailing list and like us on Facebook to receive regular updates. Please click here for information on the CELTA core modules.
10/06/15- Cambridge has just announced that they are ending the Young Learner extension from 2016. Accordingly, we are no longer planning to offer this programme. Contact us about our plans to offer a Británico equivalent in the near future.
After you have successfully completed the CELTA, you may wish to add the Young Learner extension. Note that for the purposes of the CELTA , “Young Learners” refers to students aged 6 – 12. Please visit our Early Years page for information on programmes for children younger than six.
The Young Learner Extension covers six main topics :
- Language awareness
- The learner, the teacher and the teaching/learning context
- Planning for effective teaching of young learners of English
- Classroom management and teaching skills for teaching English to young learners
- Resources and materials for teaching English to young learners
- Professional development for teachers of English to young learners
You will be assessed throughout the course, with no final examination. An external assessor, appointed by Cambridge English Language Assessment, moderates each course.
There are three components of assessment :
Teaching practice – You will teach for a total of four hours, working with at least two groups of young learners of different ages and abilities. Assessment is based on your overall performance at the end of the four hours.
Written assignments – You will complete two written assignments on:
- classroom teaching and the identification of action points
- aspects of the teaching and learning of English at young learner level through a focus on young learners and learning contexts.
Professional development – This component assesses your overall performance on the course.
To be awarded the certificate, you must pass all three components.
Contact us for information on the next Young Learner programme, and to be placed on the emailing list.